The Frum Women Singers Challenge

Hey there!


I thought I'd write about the challenge in being a Frum woman, and working in the music industry since it is something that I'm sure many other artists can relate to.


Being a Frum woman, and a singer poses so many challenges to becoming a popular artist. That could be why when I look at my collection there are just not enough women singers there. Not because they aren't out there - but because exposure is so hard to do the right way.


That being said - yes there are many heteirim out there - but for me personally it worries me. If I get a heter that its ok to post my singing on YouTube (I do post my music only tracks) - because technically its not really me, and its digitally enhanced etc. Still... will it end there? People might say yes, but I know myself. I know how one thing leads to another. So, what then? Somehow there MUST be a way that I can publicize my music with it being catered only for women.


Since traveling often isn't an option for me - shows are pretty much out of the question unless I have a major sponsor that would pay for my trip plus my three small children!
YouTube - I ruled that one out for myself. If you want to be strict - offering something for free is not the way to go. Thats my theory. A frum guy isn't going to go out and buy a cd of  a frum woman singer as easily as it would be for him to listen to a song on YouTube. As a guy once told me "if you're there in their face, what do you expect?" (not those exact words but something like that...).
Facebook - now thats become an option for me - delete all the guys and I have 350 girls and women on my profile!! Its actually working really well. I also started a page. However there are pro's and Con's to the page.
Con (so far): The page can be viewed by anyone and you can't stop them.
Pro: I love it - I can see how many people have seen my post, have clicked on my post - how many people like my page makes a huuuuge boost in my moral! Fans you have NO clue how you keep me going :D


Other things I'm trying now - its easier for me since I'm not just a singer I'm a musician - I love to make music. So, I've posted some of my best music only songs on a website called SoundCloud. Its excellent! Its just what I've been looking for - people can comment on the track wherever they want - its perfect for musicians that are starting off and would like the feedback of people on specific things. You can visit my profile, and see what I mean - if you check out "The first light" you can see how people commented at certain places. This is a real real help!!


A new website that is a great publicity tool (I haven't tested if the purchases go through yet), is Vibedeck. You can see my site here. With a touch of class and creativity you can easily (this took me about 5 minutes, no joke) create a gorgeous website that sells you're products. The only thing I don't like about it, is that it shows you're songs in full, so you are trying to sell an album but people could listen to the whole album from the website. On the other hand - I do prefer that in some ways people listen to the whole songs, you know when you hear a good sample and you end up listening to it over and over again because you didn't get round to buying the cd? Then when you actually hear the full song it doesn't sound so good any more... so in a way - its good that they hear the whole songs.


Another place I put my singing on is ReverbNation. The only way you can get the real feel for this website is by exploring it yourself.  You can do so much, create a website - create a widget for your facebook page (oh you can do that for vibedeck too), you can have mailing lists, register for a small fee to have your albums put in the most important places, the list is endless!! Oh and one thing I love and so far haven't found cheaper - to print cd's is per order! People place their orders you upload the artwork - and so far its the cheapest I've seen to produce a cd! Besides you don't have to charge for it, you charge album costs and your Fan decides if they want to pay the extra costs for an actual CD or simply download you're album. You lose nothing!!


Anyways - thats my thoughts for the day. You're feedback is always welcome!!
Wishing you a Kasima Vechasima Tova. May you have a wonderful year full of happiness, light, and success.

Comments

Popular Posts